I went through this once. We had agreed on a price and the paperwork was all drafted up. Their financing fell through at the last minute (so I was told) and they decided not to pursue further. Ended up leasing to them for another year and they bought some other property at the end of that.
If I had to do over again, I'd get an earnest fee applicable at closing to make sure they're really committed to the puchase.