The Landlord Protection Agency  
Main Menu, Landlord Protection Agency homepage Membership With The Landlord Protection Agency Free Landlord Services Member Services  

What should I expect? - Landlord Forum thread 249206

Free Landlord Newsletter

Prospect Card

FREE BONUS Forms Disk for
2 -5 year LPA Members


What should I expect? by Dan (PA) on February 26, 2012 @21:52

I currently have someone renting a room (monthly) in the house I own/live in. We are preparing to ask him to find another place shortly, my wife is under the impression it will be difficult to get him to leave. There is no lease or no agreement in writing. What would I have to do if he is unwilling to leave?

Thank You
[ Reply ] [ Return to forum ]

Re: What should I expect? by Bryan (Ia) on February 26, 2012 @22:37 [ Reply ]
You have a verbal lease. So you must serve notice of termination of lease. If he doesn't leave, evict for holdover.
Re: What should I expect? by Katiekate (New York) on February 27, 2012 @06:01 [ Reply ]
You must put the notice of termination in writing.

The notice must be at least 30 days and include one full month. So if you deliver the notice cannot be for a move out before the end of March. If you don't deliver the notice until after March 1, then it cannot be effective before the end of April.

If he is still there the day after the termination is effective, you need to go the county court house and file.. the cause for action is "hold over".

Log in

Rentals Available
Rentals Wanted
Realty Brokers
Landlord Articles
Tips & Advice
Tenant Histories

Other Areas
Q&A Forum
Free Forms
Essential Forms
Landlord Tenant Law
Join Now
Credit Reports
About Us
Site Help

Contact The LPA

© 2000-2018 The Landlord Protection Agency, Inc.

If you enjoy The LPA, Please
like us on Facebook The LPA on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter The LPA on Twitter
+1 us on Google