The Landlord Protection Agency  
Main Menu, Landlord Protection Agency homepage Membership With The Landlord Protection Agency Free Landlord Services Member Services  

Re: Tenant has a stroke. whose is responsible - Landlord Forum thread 356301

Free Landlord Newsletter

Prospect Card

FREE BONUS Forms Disk for
2 -5 year LPA Members


Re: Tenant has a stroke. whose is responsible by Garry (Iowa) on February 27, 2018 @16:41

Your tenant (or a representative for her) must request in writing, specific things she would like to have done. Then you must decide what items are relatively easy ones to do, without costing too much money (think less that $500 total cost for several items) and then do them. Those items could include grab bars in the bath, or changing door handles to a levered knob, Things like putting in a wheelchair ramp, widening doorways, lowering a kitchen sink, or doing curb cuts, are items that she would have to have done at her expense.

Once you get a list from your tenant, check with your local civil rights agency to get a better picture of what you need to do. The ADA does not expect small LLs to spend thousands of $ in remodeling costs for a T that may not be there very long. But, if you had a hundred or more units in a complex, then the may require you to spend several thousand, because you "should" be able to afford it, and in the future you could advertise that particular unit as handicapped accessible. By the way, there are usually some nonprofits out there that will come in and do most of the remodeling for free, or at a reduced rate. (especially if your T is a "senior")
[ Reply ] [ Return to forum ]

Re: Tenant has a stroke. whose is responsible by Nicole (PA) on February 28, 2018 @08:20 [ Reply ]
I have no direct experience but I have always been under the impression that the landlord needs to do nothing at all. However, landlord cannot withhold permission from the tenant to make the changes. Tenant must put the property back the way it was when they leave.

Questions would be - can the tenant be required to use a contractor approved by the landlord? must the tenant put funds in an escrow account to put property in original condition when they move out?

Log in

Rentals Available
Rentals Wanted
Realty Brokers
Landlord Articles
Tips & Advice
Tenant Histories

Other Areas
Q&A Forum
Free Forms
Essential Forms
Landlord Tenant Law
Join Now
Credit Reports
About Us
Site Help

Contact The LPA

© 2000-2018 The Landlord Protection Agency, Inc.

If you enjoy The LPA, Please
like us on Facebook The LPA on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter The LPA on Twitter
+1 us on Google