The Landlord Protection Agency  
Main Menu, Landlord Protection Agency homepage Membership With The Landlord Protection Agency Free Landlord Services Member Services  

brake in - Landlord Forum thread 358665

Free Landlord Newsletter

Prospect Card

FREE BONUS Forms Disk for
2 -5 year LPA Members


brake in by mike on October 12, 2018 @06:27

Tenant call me last night saying that the window of one of his rooms had been broken in, send me the photos. The window have a solar panel and looks as they try to remove one corner and they bend it a bit but still attach to the wall in the other 3 corners. He said that they broke the sliding doors from 2 closets rooms and that they stole milk from the fridge.
I called the insurance to report it. Waiting their answer.
Now I had in the past tenants saying that they had been broken in and it was not true so they do not have to pay for repairs.
So I asked for a police report and he was waiting for the police to arrive.
So what is the action I should to take?
Window might be true it was broken in but no way somebody could came into the house with the solar panel on.
He has history of broken things in the house.
I guess if he provide the full police report should be my responsibility to repairs the window, I want the home insurance to pay for it, how long it is that legally can he wait for having replace it ? considering it is true what he says and he gets police report.
Please advice,
thank you
[ Reply ] [ Return to forum ]

Re: brake in by LAMAC66 on October 12, 2018 @06:44 [ Reply ]
Fix window, get police report. File insurance claim if you can not afford not to recoup money.
Re: brake in by mike on October 12, 2018 @10:20 [ Reply ]
actually I just found in lease agreement from MLS say Tenant shall replace all broken glas regardless of course of damage at tenant expense
Re: brake in by Garry on October 12, 2018 @12:07 [ Reply ]
No matter what your lease says, does your language conform to what your state laws says regarding Ts paying for damages? If not, then YOU are responsible to pay for the damages, unless you can PROVE the T caused them. If need be, board up the window for now, and wait to get the police report, and for an answer from your ins. company. Then go from there.
Insurance is meant to pay for damages above what you cannot pay for. That is why you probably have a $500 or $1,000 deductible on your ins policy. If fixing the window is below your deductible, fix it on your time frame. Then once fixed, you and the T can hash-out who ultimately pays for the window.

Log in

Rentals Available
Rentals Wanted
Realty Brokers
Landlord Articles
Tips & Advice
Tenant Histories

Other Areas
Q&A Forum
Free Forms
Essential Forms
Landlord Tenant Law
Join Now
Credit Reports
About Us
Site Help

Contact The LPA

© 2000-2019 The Landlord Protection Agency, Inc.

If you enjoy The LPA, Please
like us on Facebook The LPA on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter The LPA on Twitter
+1 us on Google