The Landlord Protection Agency  
Main Menu, Landlord Protection Agency homepage Membership With The Landlord Protection Agency Free Landlord Services Member Services  

Should I give my new address to previous tenant? - Landlord Forum thread 359421

Free Landlord Newsletter

Prospect Card

FREE BONUS Forms Disk for
2 -5 year LPA Members


Should I give my new address to previous tenant? by Steve on June 22, 2019 @03:20

I sublet an apartment in NH to a lady and a man, who didnít know each other before, the lease expired on 5/31. At the beginning, they got along very well. In March, the lady wanted to extended the lease until 8/31. But in 4/13, she changed mind and sent me a text message saying she would only stay until 5/31, I said fine. On 4/18, she moved out without any prior notice to me. Her mom sent me an email saying they wanted the refund of April's rent and the deposit, citing the male roommate made a lot of noise, had multiple people living in the room. Otherwise, they would sue me at the court. Because itís her momís email, I didnít respond. On 6/19, I received another email from her mom, saying they have already won the case against me because I failed to appear. Before that, I didnít receive any notice about the case, so I was not aware of this case and of cause, I could not appear. I called the court on next day(6/20), they told me that the plaintiff used an address in AZ from which I moved out 13 years ago, they sent me a first class letter to that address and was not returned. So the court considers I was served. Thatís ridiculous. Now I have an option to strike the default judgement from the court but I will have to give out my new address. Without my new address, they canít collect any money from me even if they have won the case. Will that damage my credit report? If I pursue with striking the default judgement and give them one of my rental house address, not my home address, is that OK? Do you think I can win the case? The male tenant denies what the lady tenant claims, saying she wanted to date his male friend but failed, thatís why she moved out. He can go to hearing if needed. Thank you. Steve
[ Reply ] [ Return to forum ]

Re: Should I give my new address to previous tenant? by lpadave on June 22, 2019 @06:37 [ Reply ] got a lot going on !
As I was reading , I thought you were a rookie, making rookie mistakes,.....but when you got to the point of saying:::::::""" one of my other rental houses....""""""",,,,,,that no longer applies.

First of all, now a days, anyone can google your name and find out stuff about you, including addresses for free. If they want to spend a couple of dollars,...they can really find out about you.
One of the most basic things in LLT is addresses for notices,........clear as a bell.

Your tenants mother has obviously stepped in here and whether or not you are in fact stuck with her, is really secondary to how much time and grief do you want to put into this.

If you own the property the daughter rented, did not subrent it to her, rented it to her. Only a tenant can subrent property that they do not own, to another person.

1. Clean up your paperwork and operating procedures
2. Learn the laws and terms that apply
3. Come to an agreement on the specific date that the daughter ""moved out"", charge and collect rent thru that specific date.
4. Stop trying to hide out from the people you're doing business with and being paid money by.
5. Use better judgement regarding who you're doing business with
6. Move on to the next tenancy.
Re: Should I give my new address to previous tenant? by Daniel (CA) on July 2, 2019 @20:13 [ Reply ]
do you have proof of your new address- did you fill out a USPS change of address when you moved?

I am not a lawyer, I'm just wondering what I would do.

review the judgment and see who sued you , daughter or mother or both?

next call the clerk and ask what you can do to vacate the judgment since you were not served and you have proof that you were not at that address or even out of state.

also send the court and clerk a letter confirming that the judgment has been vacated since you got no notice of the lawsuit.

you may be able to file a motion in the case to vacate it due to lack of service. but if you are not in the area then hiring an attorney may be necessary.

Log in

Rentals Available
Rentals Wanted
Realty Brokers
Landlord Articles
Tips & Advice
Tenant Histories

Other Areas
Q&A Forum
Free Forms
Essential Forms
Landlord Tenant Law
Join Now
Credit Reports
About Us
Site Help

Contact The LPA

© 2000-2019 The Landlord Protection Agency, Inc.

If you enjoy The LPA, Please
like us on Facebook The LPA on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter The LPA on Twitter
+1 us on Google