Things tenants do or say that make you CRINGE!
If you're a seasoned landlord or property manager, you may have heard certain statements or questions that put you on red alert. Below are some things tenants say than make me cringe!
- "You'll have to stop over and see our new dog! He's so cute!"
- "Sorry to wake you. Can you come over now? Our waste line is backed up and we have 6 inches of waste water in the basement."
- "We tried to find you everywhere. We had a little fire. You have insurance, right?"
- "Isn't that nice? Our children are in the same class!"
- "The rent is going to be slightly delayed because I was laid off."
- "We had a small leak so we hired a plumber to fix it rather than bother you about it. We never expected them to charge you so much.
- "This house is infested with roaches! The exterminator says the landlord should pay the bill."
- "I'd like you to meet my new boyfriend Bubba. I want to add him to the lease since he'll be living here."
- "Just use my security deposit. I don't have the rent this month."
- "You know the new fence that was on the side of the house..."
- "It's freezing in here and there are leaking pipes in all of the rooms."
- "The air conditioner is broken. Fix it or I'm not paying the rent."
- "My son is a lawyer!"
- "Was that wallpaper in the living room new?"
- "The attic doesn't have flooring! Your foot can go through the ceiling."
- "It's against the law to ask me for the rent more than once."
- "Drop by for coffee and we can talk about what needs to be done here."
- After the sheriff's men remove the tenant from the home, the tenant walks over and says, "I want my whole deposit back... NOW! This place is better than I found it!"
I Cringe When My Tenant...
paints house neon green without asking.
rips up the manicured lawn to install jungle gym and pool without permission.
buries their Great Dane with a grave headstone in the front yard.
parks on the lawn.
calls mildew in their tub "black mold".
Copyright © The Landlord Protection Agency, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Would you like to re-print this article on your website or publication?
Permission is granted to use this Landlord Protection Agency article upon the following terms:
- Full credit for the article is given to the author and The Landlord Protection Agency, www.theLPA.com
- You display a link on your website to The Landlord Protection Agency. (www.theLPA.com).